Thursday, June 16, 2011

Reality TV

I'm a reality TV junkie. The more of a train wreck a show is, the more I'm likely to watch it. Those close to me tend to roll their eyes when they hear me say that or they seem to be full of shame. I don't get it! Most of the reality TV shows that last are the ones that educate or celebrate people.

So you think you can dance-highlights dancers
American Idol-highlights vocal talent
America's Got Talent-highlights all kinds of talent
Biggest Loser-highlights weightloss/healthy lifestyle changes
Amazing Race-highlights healthy/unhealthy competition
Survivor/Bear Grills/etc-teaches survival skills
Discovery Channel-educates on different professions
HGTV-educates on home repair, clutter removal, property facelifts
MTV-educates on spoiled children, struggling children, music

Even The Bachelor/Bachelorette for the past 3 seasons has shown group dates where they are helping orphanages, etc. Hey...it's a start.

So I choose to escape my reality in a dose of someone else's. The majority of the ridiculous shows don't make it to a second season so America is weeding those out anyway. There are so many other choices out there that seem worse.

No comments: