Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sick Freak

I was home sick yesterday and I was quickly reminded that daytime television absolutely blows. Seriously. TLC doesn't even show "A Wedding Story" anymore, TNT doesn't show "Dawson's Creek" and Verizon was not offering a free trial for any of the movie channels. So I was forced to watch Martha Stewart and The Price Is Right until I remembered that I own dvds. It was down to The Holiday and The Family Stone. I chose the latter.

Toward the end when Ben takes Meredith to get drunk at the bar, he says one of my favorite lines, "You have a freak flag, Meredith...you just don't fly it."

This got me thinking...

One of my favorite social events that I'd attend as a single gal in Dallas was the stop light party. If you aren't familiar, it's a party where everyone is invited regardless of status. And even better, you're officially labeled. Those who are in a relationship wear red nametags or wristbands, those who are single wear green and those who have issues or would answer "it's complicated" wear yellow. Everyone wins at this party...the girlfriends can monitor any green hooch, I mean tag, that comes near their man, the single guys know which girls are single (even though they often go after red tags as it poses more of a challenge) and the yellow tags are the easiest ones to strike up a conversation with because you simply ask, "so whats wrong with you?"

People don't have enough of these parties. They rank right up there with the rubix cube parties and holiday sweater parties. If you're having one, you should invite me...I'm loads of fun (I'm just sayin')

Anyway, I digress. The point is that I think we should use this methodology in everyday life. Instead of having MD, MBA, PhD on your business card, I think we should also follow it with any "D" that applies to you. And when I say "D" I just mean disorder. You can write it out like obsessive nagging disorder, tends to overreact disorder or the more commonly known: ADD, ADHD, OCD, BPD, and so on. Because really, if you're worried you'll get dumped when they figure out what kind of "D" you are, wouldn't you rather save yourself some time?

So I say, fly that freak flag! Put it out there for the world and own it.

Sincerely,

MC, AE, OCD and OPD (obsessive planning disorder)

No comments: