Monday, May 19, 2008

TICK-led Pink

Insert theme song from the movie Deliverance.

So we went camping with one of our favorite couples this weekend in Ar-Kansas.

It was an incredible trip where we were on the search for diamonds....and BIG ones at that. We went to Crater of Diamond State Park, the only diamond mine in North America where you can mine or pan for diamonds and finders keepers!! I was determined to find one.

As our Tom-Tom did us wrong and we literally had a 20 minute section of our drive where we turned from dirt road to dirt road, we were a little worried but impressed by the scenery. We arrived, set up camp and headed to town for dinner. Simple Simons pizza, salad and one calzone for 4 people=$40!!! sheesh!

That night we searched for firewood as we'd gotten to the state park too late to buy wood. Little did we know that taking wood from a state park is illegal...so don't tell anyone, k?

The next day, after about an hour and a half of searching for diamonds, we gave up. Yes, we're quitters. But to our defense, the two couples with campsites next to us had been to this state park 7 times and were there for 2 weeks straight this time and they had never found a diamond.

After our hunting, we walked down to the river and when we got back to our site we showered for dinner. In the shower I noticed a tiny leaf on my stomach. I tried to brush it off. Stuck. I tried to flick it off. Still stuck. So then I try to grab it with my wet soapy hands and pull it off. Um...Houston, we have a problem.

Yes kids, it was a tick. A huge black disgusting tick with a white dot on it's back. Notice it was tiny when I thought it was just a leaf. And what makes it worse is that its legs are still moving. Gag.

Now at this point, I've just started my shower, haven't even put shampoo in my hair yet. Cause, you see, showering at a campsite isn't a fast process. You have to carry everything to the bathroom and make sure that your underwear are hidden nicely inside the clean t-shirt and that you are carrying 2 pairs of shoes and wearing one. You enter the public bathroom and find the shower stall that is most suitable. Stay clear of the handicap accessible one with the seat in it..yuck. Find the one that is the least wet and sometimes, if you're lucky, there is a little bench to rest your items on. You de-clothe being careful to never let your bare foot touch the shower floor, only your shower flip flops and always have one eye on the shower curtain. We all know that it's reason for living is to suction cup itself to your bare ass. I had only barely stepped foot into the shower and was proceeding with my initial rinse when I found the tick.

I still had to shampoo/conditioner in one and rinse (lets be honest, you might as well be washing your hair with rubbing alcohol its so dry) and soap and rinse. I did a detour around leg shaving because hello...nasty lime disease (is that how you spell it?) carrying insect STUCK INSIDE OF ME!!

I dry off and ponder whether or not I should dry that area and begin the daunting task of putting on a pair of jeans after I've dried off with a ridiculously thin towel and am still damp, all while standing on top of your shower flip flops and not letting the bottom of your jeans touch the floor while putting them on.

I left the showers feeling more dirty and gross than when I entered as I had an insect STUCK INSIDE OF ME!!!

Ryan bravely burned me with the match twice, getting the tick on the third try and then yanked the little f-er out of my belly. At this point, since I was at risk for limes disease (i like this spelling) I thought, "what goes with limes?"....it was time for a margarita. (See post on the best margarita recipe ever)

We ended the evening around the campfire with hot dogs and smores and a lot of fun. I think it's still going to take me a few days to catch up on my sleep and determine if I am diseased or not. Wish me well people.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

This post cracked me up. Good stuff.