Sunday, October 5, 2008

100th post-what an honor

Wow...I had no idea that this was the 100th post when I sat down tonight to blog.

Months ago, I thought about what I'd write today...and what an honor it would be to write this post...and what an honor it is to me that you read it. And now that its here, it's actually perfect because I'd like to honor someone very special with this 100th blog.

An extended family member of mine was honored this weekend for a lifetime of service. He had an Elementary School named after him and I was lucky enough to attend the ceremony.

During the ceremony, they told stories about him...how he hit the first home run in the first game of the first ever College World Series...how he was an educator, a principal, a superintendent and a friend. They also read a few items from his personnel file.

When you apply for a teaching job, you're asked to write your Philosophy of Education and they read his:

"I believe in child centered schools.
I believe our teachers should recognize the need of teaching reading, writing and arithmatic
But that music, art, reading for pleasure and getting along with others is just as important.
I feel that individual differences must be recognized and that these differences must be taken in consideration by the teacher."
-Hobbs Williams, 1956

When you really think about what he said, it is absolutely amazing how he viewed the depth of education, diversity and individuality in our children and in our schools. And as the Principal stated, his philosophy from the 50s is what is taught today, almost as if he could see the future of education. During the dedication, we were pleasantly surprised to learn that they honored his wife, a long time educator in the district, by naming the library after her.

Lastly, I just want to say how important it is to honor the living. Many of these awards are given posthumously, but seeing him accept this honor, it reminded me of how important and special it is to honor people while they are still with is, while they can enjoy it.

Go Wolves! And thanks for being a part of my first 100 blogs.


2 comments:

THE MEGSTER said...

That school and honor is so stinkin' cool.

And I've actually read ALL of your posts, so oh-so-prolific-one, I suppose that makes ME famous by association.

I'M FAMOUS!

What do I win?

Anonymous said...

MC

I love your blog. Did Byron get to go to the dedication? What an honor.

love
di