Thursday, December 18, 2008

Economical Angel Tree

So I finished the majority of my Christmas shopping this evening at the local mall. I rarely venture into the mall outside of December so it is always a unique experience.

I found a parking place with ease (a benefit of having a teachers schedule) and didn't have to go too far before finding gifts for those "hard to shop for" friends on my list. I bought a coffee with a starbucks card I'd gotten a few weeks ago and was feeling particularly chipper and in the holiday spirit when I found the table where they had the Angel tree. Every year, one of my favorite parts of my holiday is giving back to my community. I haven't had the opportunity to give back this year and since I'm on a tighter budget and experiencing hard times of my own, it was even more important for me to find a way to give back. The Angel tree seemed like the perfect thing.

For those of you who don't know about the Angel tree, many organizations, churches and malls have a tree filled with "angels." These "angels" are children in need and their angel ornament lists their name, sex, age and what they want/need for Christmas. For example, it would say
"Timothy
Boy
11 years old
Shoe size 6
Shirt M
Pant Size 8
Wants educational books, new coat, Spiderman pajamas, teddy bear and Pokemon cards"

I began searching thru the "angels" with the intent to find an angel that wasn't in high demand. The babies are always picked and the kids under the age of 6 or so. Usually its the kids that are older, have requests for clothes (instead of toys) or have unusual sizes that are the last ones left on the tree.

I skimmed over the selection....Katie-13-Digital Camera, Josh-15-PSP, Ginger-14-Ipod Video, Hannah-17-portable DVD player, Cameron-11-Nintendo Wii.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm shopping in a very affluent area but..ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? This tree is supposed to be for children in need. A tree asking for the support of the community to give to those less fortunate and there isn't a single wish/need that can be granted for under $100??? I don't spend that much on my family members, how in the world do you expect me to fit these wishes into my budget?

I don't mean to sound like a Scrooge but who is the person who organized this? Who picks these "needy" children? I'm not saying that these kids can't have big wishes but the point of an angel tree is to truly meet the needs of these children. What good is a Nintendo Wii going to do if they don't have a home, a tv or money to pay the electric bill? What good will that do if they don't have shoes that fit, a coat to keep them warm and toys that will help further their education?

I was so mad when I saw the gift suggestions listed on these ornaments that I walked away without adopting a single angel. And I had such a bad taste in my mouth that I thought about it the entire way home. I want to know who has the nerve to print these requests and hang them on the tree. If there is ever a year to get back to our basic needs, its this year.

It reminds you that in tough times, greed never cuts back. Here's hoping that those who are truly in need this year, this holiday season, are not overlooked by those just looking for a handout.

No comments: