Saturday, September 6, 2008

Change, the ugly duckling.

It is amazing to me how change affects each of us. I used to think that change was my friend. I loved the way it would creep up and surprise me, most of the time with things that I had never thought of. I thought it was exciting, new, and challenging. There were times when I knew it was coming….because it was inevitable and we all expected it. And there were times when no one could’ve predicted it because it was coming whether we wanted it or not. It was like change, fate and destiny were all the best of friends and had the most creative of imaginations.

Most people don’t like change….even if they say they do. They don’t like change in their routines, in the bottom of their purse or collecting space on their nightstand. Change is that friend that is often uncomfortable, often unwelcome and usually takes a lot of getting used to.

But lately, no matter how much I used to love it, I’m not a fan of change and I haven’t been able to see it coming. Lately, change seems to be constant. Change seems to be all around me and the people that I love.

But when you think about change, whether it be in your life or in your pocket, it only really makes a difference when there’s a lot of it. In the big picture of life, a little change doesn’t amount to anything. But the more you have, the more opportunities you have to do something with it.

So I’ve decided that I’m no longer going to be afraid of it….I’m no longer going to dread it’s presence. Instead, I’m going to keep track of it and count it. Because, each time change appears, I’m a little bit closer to using it for something I really need.

4 comments:

THE MEGSTER said...

A-w-e-s-o-m-e

DomestiGals said...

Good for you! Refusing to fear change is SO important. Change is scary but often brings about the best in life. You go girl!

Colleen said...

I agree - accepting change is the first step. I can't remember the rest of them verbatim, but I'm pretty sure they go like this:

1) accept change
2) deal with change
3) pretend you like change
4) make nice with change
5) duck next time you see change coming
6) share the love on the change
7) when in doubt, drink through the change

That's at least from my point of view.

MC said...

colleen, I love it...is it bad that your #8 is my #1?