Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Do we really need greeters?

I don't understand the point of greeters. Other than Walmart, I've never seen a greeter with an actual purpose. At least with Walmart, the "greeter" or "elderly person" is incharge of putting a little sticker on each of the items you're returning and verifying that you didn't steal anything when your bag sounds off the alarm.

When I worked in retail, there was always an employee assigned to the front of the store for the same purpose as the Walmart greeter. But usually, we ended up harassing any potential clients. My favorite is when someone had just stepped foot into the store and we ask, "Good morning! Can I help you find anything?" and what do they answer? "No thanks, I'm just looking."

But I still can understand the purpose of that kind of greeter as you need someone near the door in case someone is going to steal something. But really, do we need to feel all warm and cozy when entering an establishment? Has there been some study proving that cozy people spend more money?

Here's what I don't understand. Yesterday I go to the bank to deposit the last of my severance/commission checks and I'm accosted by a bank greeter. A bank greeter!! In a time when unemployment is at a record high, we seriously have a need for a position as a greeter at the bank??

Think about it.

If I want to start a new account, I'm going to go to someone sitting behind a desk. If I want pretty much anything else, I'm going to go to the ATM or to a teller. The ONLY way I wouldn't know where I'm going is if I was 12 and opening my very first savings account. And in that case, I'm probably with my Mom or have been to the bank with my Mom enough times that I know whats up.

Yet, I have this young lady say, "Good afternoon, Ma'am. What can we help you with today?"

I wanted to say, "You can help me by not delaying me any further than I'm already delayed by having to actually walk into the bank because you don't have a drive thru at this location. So why don't you go make a fresh pot of coffee and stop annoying me. Oh, and don't call me Ma'am."

In reality I just shook my head and tried not to make eye contact, in the same way I handle the perfume sample ladies at the mall.

No comments: