Monday, September 1, 2008

"Life's a B*tch and then you get laid off"

This was the subject of an email I received today from a good friend comforting me after my first official layoff yesterday. It was the 3rd layoff I've been thru in my professional career but the first one that I didn't survive.

I was shocked. Maybe shocked isn't the appropriate word, I don't that there is one. I had absolutely no warning, no signs, no knowledge that the company, or my job, was in danger.

Typically the salespeople are safe in any company as they need money coming in. Apparently, things are bad at my former job because 20% of the entire company and 75% of the sales team were laid off...leaving one guy in sales and half the # of employees that were with the company when I started a year and a half ago.

Let me back up and tell you that I'm good at my job. (or I was good at my job). I'd never received anything but raving reviews from my bosses and I was just offered a promotion. Unfortunately for me, these layoffs were not performance based.

And, unfortunately for me, there wasn't anything "common" about my job. It was kind of a niche operation and mine was kind of a niche position. What does this mean? This means that there are no competitors to go to....no comparable positions, companies or salaries to fill this hole.

So, here's me.....at square one.

It's amazing the perspective you gain about the important things in life when you're faced with a life changing situation. Just two days ago I blogged about what I'm thankful for and thank goodness my #1 was what it was....because I'm going to be okay.

I have no idea what I'll do or where I'll land but something just tells me that I'm going to be ok. So...they say these things happen in 3s...I had 2 of them this week, bring it on #3!

Oh, and if you know of anyone wanting to hire an incredibly bright, witty and all around fantastic gal, let me know! Hook 'em horns!

4 comments:

The Brown Family said...

I am so sorry. What's the next step (besides obviously finding a new job).

texaslauren77 said...

MC! I am so sorry to hear this news. I have an especially good appreciation of this predicament since the same thing happened to me in 2001. My company was having trouble, and I survived until the third round of layoffs. Then when things were no longer about job performance and strictly about cutting head count right after the September 11th attacks, I was let go based on seniority and tenure with the company... I had been there a year and a half. Luckily, I had savings and got a decent severance package, and that helped me ride out the 5 months that I spent looking for something new. It wasn't an easy five months (especially since I was let go the week before Thanksgiving!), but I survived, and came out a little stronger, and a little smarter about business in general. You will be fine, and I have no doubt that you will find another job soon! Keep your chin up!

DomestiGals said...

Oh my gosh MC! I'm so sorry to hear about this. Please keep us posted on how things go, and remember that everything happens for a reason. You will have a great next step. Hang in there.

THE MEGSTER said...

I'm not going to pepper you (or baby you. Ha.) with annoying sentiments about doors closing and windows opening, because the bottom line is it f'ing sucks. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. So wallow around in it, drink a lot of wine, drunk dial me if you need to, keep writing...and rest on faith. All my love.