Friday, August 29, 2008

High from High School

After I blogged yesterday about appreciating my age and the things I've learned, I went to the local high school during lunch. BF and I are going to the football game tonight and I needed to get tickets. Normally we buy them at the stadium but this is a fairly big game so I wanted to get them early. Now keep in mind that I went to high school with 172 other people in my class, probably a little over 600 in the entire school. This is BF's high school and he graduated with over 1500 in his class alone! Needless to say, it's quite a bit larger.

So, I call the school to find out where to buy tickets and where the office is located on the campus (over 7 buildings, each larger than my school). I arrive and quickly ask the first student I see to verify that I'm headed to the right set of doors. I enter and realize that I've arrived in the middle of the passing period as there are hundreds of students bumping into me and racing around me.

And these aren't the students that I went to high school with. I'm dressed for work and I'm underdressed compared to these kids. The girls have on heels and adorable straight-out-of-vogue outfits on, the boys have polos and popped collars, there are no backpacks in sight but they all have blackberrys and iphones!!! Is this 90210?? (starts Tuesday by the way Can.Not.Wait)

I finally find the student affairs office and wait for the student in front of me to finish. When it was my turn, I told the lady that I needed 2 football tickets.

"Student?" she said.
"Haha, oh I love that. No, 2 adults. Thanks"

At this time, the bell rings and students in the halls hurry off to class. I'm so relieved that I won't have to dodge them as I leave the school. As I'm putting the tickets away, another bell rings. I'd forgotten that there are two bells...the bell to tell you to get to class and then the tardy bell.

Anyway, I thank the nice lady, head out of the office (relieved that I'm the only one in the hall and I can now exhale) when I hear someone yelling at the students.

Things like "Miss, you need to get to class."

I can so remember being late to class and hoping I got there before the tardy bell.
And then I hear it again.

"Miss."
"Miss!"
"MISS!!!!"

At this point I turn around to see what idiot isn't moving fast enough. I realize that idiot is...ME!!

"Are you talking to me?" I ask.

"Um, YES. MISS, you are late, YOU NEED TO GET TO CLASS NOW" he sternly states.

[Insert laughter here]

Thats right kids, I was mistaken for a high school kid. After regaining my composure, I thank the gentleman for the compliment, explain that I'm not a student, just here on my lunch break, and quickly leave the school. A little lighter in my step, in fact, I think I might've skipped once or twice.

Motto of this story: If you're feeling sassy and put together, go visit your local high school, they'll show you up. If you're feeling overwhelmed, go visit your local high school during passing period, you might die. If you're feeling old, go visit your local high school, nothing like getting yelled at by a teacher to make you feel younger!

3 comments:

THE MEGSTER said...

That's so Mary Kay Letorneau of you. :-)

emily bee said...

hahaha! that's stinkin' hilarious. yeah the high school i went to sounds more like yours, not this one. hehe...that would kind of freak me out, i think! :)

Colleen said...

That's great - kindof like when my mom was a teacher at a Catholic school and the headmaster asked her where her uniform pass was (why wasn't she in one?) and she had to inform her (ultimately, the boss) that she was a teacher. She was 23. :)