Monday, August 4, 2008

Does what goes around really come back around?

I'm starting to wonder if that's true, I've always been hopeful that it was. I feel like it keeps me on my A game and holds me accountable because, boy, if something I did is coming back around for me....I have a feeling its going to be bad! As often as I've failed at being a truly good person, I have the true desire to be "good." And I don't think that everyone out there shares that desire....but I hope I'm wrong about that.

I think about the people who have done me wrong and from what I know about them at this point, I don't know that anything has "come back around" to bite them in the tush for what they did. And how awful to admit that it actually makes me sad. Do I honestly want to know that they have been punished in some way for their actions?

Sadly...yes. Yes I Do!

So I find myself in a really selfish situation (otherwise known as "why me?") in that, I tend to get bitten in the you-know-what everytime I misbehave....and usually the punishment is worse than the crime. And though I am far from perfect, I find myself often casting the first stone when it comes to wanting those who did me wrong to be punished!

This is something I hope that I won't always have to struggle with. I hope at somepoint I can just get over myself and realize that anyone else's suffering won't make mine better or even justified.

Until then..the only thing that keeps coming back around in my life is this heat....what AM I being punished for?? At least we're all in this together...now someone go buy a bag of ice and we'll all sit around it like a campfire, k?

1 comment:

Bundt said...

As someone that's been dumped on considerably in recent history, I am still a firm believer in this. However, I look at it slightly differently; I think it makes perfect sense in a mathematical light.. Take every good event that's happened in your life, give it a score from 1-10 (10 being a life-altering, incredible experience, 1 being something slightly pleasant), take every bad event that's happened in your life, give it a score from -1 to -10 (-10 being the absolute worst even of your life, -1 something slightly negative), add all the positives and all the negatives together, I'd be willing to bet you'd come back with a result somewhere close to zero. I don't estimate a good deed will necessarily return good fortune, or a bad deed will necessarily return a corresponding hardship, but they simply all go into this soup of averages.

"To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is divine."