Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A different perspective on history.

I had an incredible day and there are not too many days that I can truly consider incredible. Today was memorable...today was historic.

Let me be clear....I voted for McCain. I don't regret it, I'd do it again today. Anyone that can give that kind of sacrifice for our country earns my vote. I support his position on so many issues and wanted him to be #44. That being said, I fully support our new President just as I did "Dubya." I believe that change is upon us and today was a new day.

Today, I had the priveledge of substituting for a precious class in one of my favorite elementary schools. The school administration asked us all to turn on our TVs at 10:25 to watch the inauguration. Had I not had a job today, I would've watched the inaguration but probably not intently. I would've had it on the tv while doing chores, etc. But being in the classroom, I had an obligation to our country (not to sound too deep) and to these kids to really explain that today was historical.

In my class today, we didn't just watch the inauguration. We discussed historical landmarks that were shown, historical figures present and their roles, historical items (Abe Lincoln's bible carried by Michelle in a fireproof and waterproof box) and other observations about the day. I was amazed at how inquizitive these kids were. It truly was a group learning as any question they came up with that I didn't know, they went to the computer and researched the answer. It was active learning in its truest form. They even had fun trying to "stump" me with historical questions. (I'm sorry to say I did not know what year the White House or Capitol buildings were built.)

They learned about the features of President Obama's limousine, the climate there, they imagined what it would feel like to be there to witness the event and what it would feel like to be President Obama. We discussed how you become president and the differences between President and Vice President. We looked up former presidents and read the presidential responsibilities and powers.

After the ceremony, we discussed different observations (it was cold; Obama had a red tie, Bush had a blue tie) and what they would tell their families tonight about what they saw.

We also discussed what other historical events that have happened in their lifetime. I was pleased that they remembered 9/11, the tsunami, hurricane Katrina and Michael Phelps winning 8 gold medals.

In my education classes, we've studied the brain and studied what learning styles make the biggest difference. Lecturing and having someone read to you are the least effective methods and teaching your peers is the most effective.

This was proven today in my class. By teaching these kids and discussing our nation, I was affected in a way I never expected to be. To me, today was truly historic. It was historic because we inaugurated the first African-American President, but also because I was once again amazed, impressed and reassured in the generation that we are all raising.

The future is bright....I hope I can help direct the light.

No comments: