Sunday, November 9, 2008

That mean old man

I have a new perspective on the man you grew up referring to as "that mean old man." This new perspective was gained when I realized that he lives across the street from us.

He is that man who lives alone, is a bit older and really keeps to himself. We didn't meet him until we'd lived there for over 6 months.

He is quiet but polite, not overly conversational but well educated. And up until a few weeks ago, I just thought he was a nice old man.

And then Halloween arrived......

It was around 7pm, just as the sun was starting to set, and I was a little disappointed as we were still waiting the arrival of our first trick-or-treater of 2008. Finally, the doorbell rang and cheerleader and Redskins football player were wide-eyed at our door (wide-eyed because our house was pretty spooky this year). As I was handing out candy, complimenting the costumes and saying hello to the parents I noticed the man across the street open his door. He glanced over to our house, I smiled and waved and he walked out to the side of his house. I didn't think anything of it and I said goodbye to the kiddos. And then, I heard it....

tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, purrrrrrrrr

The jerk (formally known as man) had turned his sprinklers on!!!! He walked back inside, shut the door and turned his porch light off.

I was so mad...and the worst part is that his sprinklers were positioned so they sprayed all the way to the curb so any kids walking by would have to walk out into the street to avoid getting wet!!!!

I haven't said anything to the aforementioned jerk and I don't really know what or if I will say....but let me tell you this....NEXT YEAR, that will not happen.

And if you have been that jerk on Halloween, DON'T!!! You don't have to give out candy, you don't even have to answer the door....just don't be THAT house!

2 comments:

THE MEGSTER said...

Hello Boo Radley. Nice to meet you.

Laura said...

Somebody must have pissed on his candy corn. What an a-hole!