Wednesday, April 16, 2008

interesting...

I had someone try to teach me this week about being a leader. I had some thoughts of my own but I think these illustrate that point better than my own words. Interpret as you will.

"Mature leaders manage themselves before they attempt to lead others"

"A few daily disciplines: Choosing the difficult right over the easy wrong. Self-understanding. Emotional intelligence. These are the inherent attributes found in the core of the leaders' character."

"The fact that mature leaders should manage themselves before they attempt to lead their people is summarized well by Tony Blair: 'I do not seek unpopularity as a badge of honour, but sometimes it is the price of leadership and the cost of conviction.'"

"Wisely they then surround themselves with people that can compliment both their strengths and weaknesses."

"Mature leaders don't push - they motivate; they don't control - they coach and evoke commitment; they don't dictate - they inspire; they don't prescribe - they stimulate creativity and empowerment."

and my favorite....

"If I say that I'm a leader and no one is following me, I'm not a leader, I'm merely out for a walk!"

Because you can't go looking for followers. I'm sure thats easier than finding the leaders but you're only as good as those you surround yourself with. If you're looking for mediocre, than you're only the best of the worst. Good luck with that.

No comments: