Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Reality Me

If you ask Ryan, one of the things that annoys him the most about me is that I absolutely love reality tv. Seriously. There are a few that I'm not on the wagon for (Survivor, Amazing Race, ANTM) but I have watched at least a season of those.

He loves to tell the story of the night I was watching Big Brother and when it was over I asked him what he wanted to watch. To which he said "I don't care, anything but reality tv." Without thinking about it, I selected the Real World on MTV. He had an outburst of part laughter/part fear when he realized what an idiot I can be as it didn't even occur to me that it wasn't reality tv. I don't view it as reality tv, I view it as GREAT tv!

I've noticed that I have so many friends who are also facing this addiction. There are no support groups (with the exception of Lincee's recaps *see link on the side*), there are no patches, no 12 step programs to help you weane yourself off of reality tv. And I fear that this addiction will grow or at least maintain this level until the networks pull them all together.

I fear and anticipate that day. It's a love-hate thing.

I was driving back from lunch today pondering this subject. I often do this when I'm indulging in a bubble tea because I feel that they are oh-so-stimulating. I digress.

I've decided that those of us who adore reality tv are, in fact, bored with the day to day. There are very few opportunities to scream "no way" "omg" "no she di-int" and other sighs, gasps, etc. I'm not a fan of the horror movie, my friends and I are at the age where dramatic episodes in our lives is fewer and farther between. (Although we did have the cops called on us at the golf course this weekend but thats another story).

So on the whole, my life is pretty normal. And the more normal I've become (yes, i'm aware that my self proclaimed normalcy is debatable) the more I seek out the abnormal. I love to shriek with laughter, gasp is horror, and hide my face behind my pillow because it's so akward or uncomfortable. I don't want it in my day to day life but I do want it as part of my evening entertainment.

So, until I get married, have kids and have real life "a-ha" or "no way" moments of my own, I will continue to bask in the beauty of the somewhat real life moments on tv.

And for the record. I think Shayne "monkey" will win The Bachelor, Ryan will win Big Brother, I didn't want Ali to win Biggest Loser but I knew she would, Paradise Hotel 2 has gotten lame, I can't wait to see Ste-ven come back to The Hills and I would a subscriber fee to watch another season of Temptation Island!

1 comment:

Jett, Shauna and Colton said...

I am with you.. joslyn and I call ourselves reality tv whores... I watch them and think "hey, I am not so bad" ha ha