Monday, April 14, 2008

New Growth

When we moved into our house, there are certain things that we each inherited. (Let the record show that it's actually Ryan's house, he just lets me live there and earn my keep, therefore giving me the right to claim part of it as my own.)

We have done the majority of the work on the house together....not always in perfect harmony but we make a pretty good team. We stripped wallpaper, painted inside and out, bought appliances, replaced fixtures, replaced electrical outlets, replaced switches, tore off the fireplace cover and painted the interior, planted flowerbeds and most recently...replaced ceiling fans.

Although we work together, Ryan is the master at anything electrical and I'm the master of the yard. Ryan can replace just about anything electrical in the house, its pretty dang cool, and I can mow, weed eat, edge, plant and my newest skill...grow!

There are 2 stories from this past weekend:

1) we replaced a cheap chrome looking fan with a simple white one in the office. I hated that fan. It was quick, easy and a good sign of things to come....or so we thought. Next we replaced the brown fan in the living room. Everything was going smoothly until he tried to remove it and realized it was really freakin heavy. I had to help him get it down and it turns out we have a 60lb brown cast iron ceiling fan in our house!! There was no hole with a mounting bracket, just a large hook. So after 2 trips to the hardware store and 6 hours in the attic, Ryan managed to remove the support beam with the hook, install an electrical box and mounting bracket and replace our cast iron fan (worth over $100 used) with our $30 home depot white fan, haha!

2) I inherited a mini garden growing bell peppers when we moved in. Red, Yellow and Green although I seldom got a yellow one to grow completely because the bugs like the sweeter ones. This was the last year for the pepper plant either because I killed it or because it was time for it to go (this is what i'm believing). I've decided to keep it a mini garden and yesterday planted yellow squash, zucchini and celebrity tomato plants!

Here's hoping I have a lush spring and summer and can be known as that girl who has an awesome backyard and great veggies! I think I'm going to see if Central Market will pick up my line of Organic MC's veggies!

Place your orders now!

No comments: