Monday, July 21, 2014

Baby Testimony w/oils Cradle Cap, Sleep and Teething

 
So the reason I found my blog again was because I wanted to document my journey to a healthier lifestyle and being a better parent.  Shockingly, in our previous house I had very few framed photos of anyone and until about a week ago I actually didn't own a single wedding photo from our wedding!!  (Side note: our daughter was 9 months old when we got married and it was in December so her first Christmas and life took priority.  Our photographers were amazing and we've already paid for a few photo books/prints we just have yet to pick out what we want!  Thankfully an online photo printing shop had a promo for some free prints so I took advantage and we now have 2 wedding photos framed, lol).   I've been trying to frame pictures of our kids, pets, family, us and am making progress with all of these goals...yay me!

N-E-way....the main reason I looked up oils was for my kiddos and brand new baby.  I ordered a "kit" and I felt like I just fell into the sucker sales pitch trap but it really was the best deal and I got all of the most frequently used oils by the "cool kids" plus a diffuser and samples (I didn't know what a diffuser was, lol).

I'd done more research about what oils to start with (**my sponsor sent me a reference guide for signing up and I now continue this practice so if you're considering oils, let me know!) both in our FB group and with my reference guide and I knew to start small.  I'd ordered a few oils on top of my kit to get the free oil promotion that month (and because I'm all about free stuff) and one was an oil that was recommended to help the cradle cap I mentioned in a previous post. (melrose)

With the first bath I added 1 drop of Melrose to my coconut oil and for the first time in his 4 weeks of age, after his bath there were no gross flaky things on his head!!!  My thought was... "maybe it was the oil, maybe I've used coconut enough times to get rid of it, maybe it was luck"  regardless of the reason, I didn't care because I had a baby with a normal looking scalp!

He was 4 weeks and would eat at 11p-3a-7a.  I only used the melrose or melealeuca on his head during shampoos and didn't apply anything else to him for a week because I was nervous.  I diffused Peace & Calming after a few days and was shocked as my kids took a nap AT THE SAME TIME and FOR MORE THAN 20 MIN I HAD ME TIME!!!!

The beginning of week 6 for my little one I put lavender on his big toes for the first time.  HE SLEPT THRU THE NIGHT...I woke up i a panic and immediately checked to see if he was breathing...yup, we're good and again thought "maybe it was the lavender, maybe it is a miracle, maybe he's the best baby ever, maybe it's a fluke"  and I don't care I'm doing again!  The only times he hasn't slept thru the night since were when we were transitioning him from cradle in our room to crib in his room and I was also transitioning him out of a swaddle blanket.  (remember, he's almost 5 months now).

Fast forward to week 9.  My good baby is suddenly a HANDFUL!  Whiny, needy, fussy, drooling so much that we are changing outfits several times a day and trying to eat his hand.  What the??  Yep, you guessed it...teething....at 9 WEEKS!  (Side note: my first didn't teeth until month 7 and only had 1 tooth at her first b-day so I was not expecting this at all).   It was around 7pm, hubby was somewhere (don't remember) and it was just me and the kids and the baby was FREAKING OUT.  My 3.5yr old was now crying because her ears hurt from the baby crying.  I had the baby tylenol in my had ready to give him some and something inside me stopped and said, "if you're going to give these oils a try, you have to give them a chance."  So I said...ok, I'll try this and I'll give it 5 min (lol) if he's still crying I'm going to meds.  I put lavender on his toes, mixed it with coconut and put it on his earlobes and then held the open bottle between us to smell as I rocked him and we both cried.   Within 1 minute he stopped crying all together and in less than 5 he was ASLEEP!!!!  I freaked out in both happy and paranoid ways and thought "maybe it was the lavender, maybe he finally tired himself out to fall asleep" either way I didn't care.

As his teething has progressed and he's getting close to actually cutting his first tooth (and I've done more research on oils) I've made my own teething cream and I use 1tbsp coconut oil for several (4-5) drops of thieves and put that directly on his gums with my finger or I put it on a cold wet washcloth for him to gnaw on.  I also will apply copaiba neat (straight) on his gums as an alternative.

I was lucky that my first didn't have teething issues but it's definitely different this time around and I'm not a fan of anything that has the risk to numb their throat/tongue or actually medicate/sedate them.  I'm so thankful that I found Young Living.

I should also mention that my skeptical husband, who refers to my oils as "voodoo oils" has said to me multiple times, "ok, I'm ready for you to put the voodoo oils on him"  haha!

These are the actual YL lavender fields, so pretty!


No comments: