Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Placebo effect and oils....you decide

So I have friends and family who are asking me about the "hippie oils" I use.  I think this is awesome.  I don't like to broadcast my use of oils and the benefits of it other than this blog because I don't want to look like a saleswoman.  I think most of my friends don't even know I have a blog!  Occasionally I'll make a comment on FB or I'll have an oil with me and use it when I'm with someone but other than that I try not to make a huge deal about it.

Not that I don't WANT to but I get annoyed that I'm constantly bombarded with sales tactics from my friends who earn extra income with whatever product they recommend.

It's not a bad thing for them and I wish I had enough money to throw around and buy something to help them with their business.  But, I'm a teacher and a mom and that just isn't in the budget.

I've had friends tell me that oils are just placebo.  That it's all in my head and there's no real effect.

Well, I'm not a scientist (but I do teach science) and you know what...they could absolutely be right.  I have no scientific evidence that oils work.  I also have no scientific evidence that the migraine medicine I used to be on worked.  But the fact is, you could have scientific evidence that a pain reliever gets rid of a headache or a nausea medicine makes you feel normal but anyone who has ever had a headache or been pregnant can tell you that it doesn't always work.

Most of the time when someone asks me about oils and really wants to know, it's because there is something going on with them or someone they know and whatever they're trying isn't working.  A lot of the time they're at the point where they'll try anything.  It's such a compliment when someone comes to me in need because it shows a lot of trust in my friendship as they often are sharing things that are going on in their lives that they wouldn't tell just anyone.  Not only am I humbled by this act but I'm so happy to help and try to get them as much information as I can.

To be completely honest, I don't really care if this is all a placebo effect because that is working for us.  If it's placebo effect that an oil just got rid of an awful rash my 5month old had on his back from an exploding diaper that went everywhere....well give me more placebo because it's not there anymore.  If it's placebo that some stress away, pan away and NingXia red helped me feel normal/functional after having a few too many glasses of wine the night before...good lord, bring on the placebo.

I'll tell you one person who IS using it as placebo...my 3.5yr old.  Everyday she tells me about something that is wrong and wants oils.  Yesterday it was that her back hurt and she wanted oils (she's seen me use them on her daddy's back who has a crushed S2) or her throat hurt and she wanted oils (my neighbor loves the thieves).  She knows that the green bottle (peppermint) is her magic potty potion, the pink oil (Joy) goes in her diffuser to help her sleep and the purple oil (Valor) is what she gets to put on in the morning.  As a mom, we're at the age where when I ask "where does it hurt?" she can tend to be a little dramatic and say, "it hurts EVERYWHERE."  Or she can come up with some interesting ailments that need curing.

I'm so happy that I have a natural alternative that I can use on these "ailments" that won't harm her and can satisfy her placebo-desires.


No comments: