Saturday, July 26, 2014

Life in balance

I'm no health food expert.  I don't have a magic pill/potion/drink that makes you healthy without putting in any effort.  I don't have any certification or credentials that should make you believe anything I say.  What I do have is a lot of family members with opinions (all who love to read and research) and I have friends on all ends of the "health" spectrum.

I've always bounced around when it comes to weight and "size."  I've never considered myself as someone others would reference as healthy but I don't think I've been in the unhealthy category either.  I'm a typical female in that I always want to be healthier and look better than I do. 

What makes me different than the average female is that I don't look in the mirror and see a version of myself that I dislike.  I'm a positive person and a silver lining seeker and I've always liked what I've seen in my reflection.

Why is this a bad thing?

Because it makes me rationalize every decision to have a piece of cheese, glass of wine, ice cream and anything other than exercising or making a healthy choice.

I've tried diets, juices, fad programs, supplements and crazy tactics.  Thankfully I never dedicated a tremendous amount of effort to anything other than happiness.  When I started dating my husband, I realize that it wasn't about how I looked but about how I felt.

I read and follow a lot of healthy people blogs.  I try to stay up to date in the battle of the GMO and what I should/shouldn't give my children.  I don't think there are enough hours in the day to know everything you need to know.  When I research and learn about healthy habits/lifestyle the one thing I'm always coming back to is balance. 

Ultimately there is no cure for laziness, there's no perfect solution that fits everyone's needs and everyone's lifestyle.  And think about it...if a pill existed that could make you fit and healthy without doing anything....would you really want to take it?  What the heck would you be taking?

My journey for a healthier lifestyle is all about balance.  I love essential oils and I've started drinkin NingXia Red daily.  I believe that they help keep my family happy and healthy.  I love cooking.  I believe that I can cook a healthier meal from scratch than I can from a box.  I love to be outside.  I would rather burn calories playing with my family than going to the gym.

BUT....

If my kids get really sick, I'll take them to the doctor and I'll leave there with a perscription.  I'll try oils for what I think is a reasonable amount of time and then I'm giving them modern medicine (hopefully we won't get to that point).   I love to cook for my family but I will always have a box of macaroni in my pantry and when my choice is to spend time with my kids or spend time alone in the kitchen, I will always choose my kids.  And when it comes to exercise, I love to spend time with my kids but I will happily choose to sacrifice burning a few calories to picking up my camera and capturing a precious moment or two.

It's about balance.  It's about making a healthy choice and understanding what is a sacrifice and what is not. 

There are plenty that are far past me in this journey for healthy and what I consider a sacrifice may  not be on their radar...and that's okay!  I challenge you to find the balance in your life whether it is financial, emotional, psychological, physical, spiritual or professional.  It's about the journey, the experience, the lessons and the memories.  I hope yours are filled with laughter and love.

No comments: