Friday, July 25, 2014

Potty Training Testimony!


I should start off by saying I'd accepted the fact that my 3.5yr old was going to graduate in diapers.  I rationalized by saying to myself "at least she won't graduate pregnant" (depends=chastity belt?).  Potty training was a LOOOONG journey for this family so this is a long post but hang in there because it has a happy ending!

When she was 18mo old she would come to me and say "pee pee" and I was NOT ready for potty training, plus I thought there was no way SHE was ready.  Regardless, I ordered supplies: disposable potty liners for non-home pottys, toilet seat with potty seat attachment (I was not doing a portable potty...gross), step stool for getting on/off the potty and washing hands, potty training book, sticker chart, etc.  Talked to my pediatrician who said to wait until she was old enough to pull her pants up/down so we decided to wait.  The summer after she was 2 we started talking about the potty.

We started changing her diapers in the bathroom, talking about where our pee-pees and poo-poos go and bought big girl panties.

She was also at daycare and they requested pull ups and said she'd potty train with all of the other kids as she was moving up in classrooms.

She did great at school, very few accidents.  Home was a different story.  She HATED the potty.

I did the 3 day potty training during a break from school.  It turned into 5-day before we quit.  Basically they go nude from the waist down so they learn what accidents feel like and start to become aware of what is happening.  Well my kiddo could care less!  She'd pee/poop on the floor and either point it out like it was no big deal or just leave it and keep playing.  She started whining and saying she wanted her diapers, she didn't want to be a big girl, she was still a baby, etc.  (Side note: I should mention that I was 4 months pregnant at this time).

Around November she started regressing at school and EVERY DAY would come home with multiple soiled outfits from school.  We were about to put our house in the market and I was 6 months pregnant and having to deal with this at the end of the work day was too much.   I'd heard about regression with potty training whenever life changes and we were about to move, our dog passed away and a new baby was on the way so this momma said "Forget it!"  We will worry about it when all of these things are behind us.

Fast forward to spring.  New house, new dog, new baby brother and she's now 3.  I was home on maternity and we talked about the potty alot.  All of our friends/family knew to encourage it.  Our neighbors had a 3yr old as well and he was fully potty trained.  She would occassionally pee in the potty but only for candy and only after a negotiation and 30 min sitting there...she HATED the potty.  She'd have dirty diapers around her friends and not care, even when they said "whats that smell?"

Summer and now I'm into oils.  I'd read that peppermint oil was good for constipation (I drop in the potty) and I shared this with my husband (Side Note:  peppermint oil is also good to help you breathe again when someone spends some quality time in the loo).  We get home from a weekend trip and he decides to take her potty.  I gave him the "voodoo oil" and told him 1 drop.  She pee pees in the potty and she washes her hands.  I'm in the other room and she runs in naked from the waist down asking where Daddy is and it turns out she pooped in the potty after he left her.  "maybe it was a coincidence, maybe it was the oils...either way who cares Woohoo!"

We start the potty training process with a LOT of accidents...EVERYWHERE.  She was embarassed, didn't want anyone to see, ashamed, etc.  I started applying 1 drop of Stress Away and 1 drop of valor on my index finger and rubbing them on her wrists.

The days I forgot...we had hidden accidents...GROSS.  The days I remembered she wanted to show me what was in the potty...oh great, haha.  When she started showing pride in the potty I switched to just Valor.  She never had a poop accident, THANKFULLY, and a month later we only have diapers for the baby...WOOHOO!!!

I use Valor when she is having a fussy day/tantrum, when we're going some place she doesn't want to go, when we're about to have a playdate.

This momma loves some VALOR!!!

No comments: