Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Grass Is Always Greener

Surprisingly, I watched part of 'Cheaper By The Dozen 2' today. I'm not normally a fan of the cheesy disney movies but this one has a great message.

To summarize...the family spends the summer back at the lakehouse resurrecting an old family tradition. However, this year, they learn that a former nemesis has now built the biggest, baddest, best place on the lake. They have all the games, toys and luxuries that everyone wants and suddenly the family kids only want to be at the house across the lake.

This has such a similarity to real life. It seems that everyone we know constantly has the newest, best thing. From homes, electronics, cars, wardrobes, jobs, pets, etc. Most of the time we hang out with friends it's to see the new something at someone's house. Which is so funny to me because in all reality, you don't need a reason to hang out with someone or need something to do...if you're truly friends.

It's hard not to get wrapped up in the race to be the best and often I wonder what we have to offer our friends for entertainment. What reason do our friends have to come over to this house? After all, we don't have a big screen, a pool, the latest video game, a pool table, etc.

But forget all that cause I have access to a lake house! And THIS was finally the year that I'd be able to have a big bash at the lake for the 4th of july. Because THIS year, the 4th is on a Friday and everyone promised last year when they made other plans that they'd "definitely be there NEXT year."

I'd already booked hotel rooms (because it's going to be that big), planned ahead for batches and batches of our newly famous margaritas, smores by the bonfire pit, sunscreen, bbq, fireworks, the list goes on and on (I'd even envisioned the ping pong tournament brackets.) I was beyond excited. I wondered if we had everything we'd need to be "that house across the lake" where EVERYONE wanted to be. And if we didn't, thats why they invented Walmart.

No matter how perfect it was going to be, reality is a bit more perfect. It seems that not one of the promises made last year will actually deliver.

So, I've cancelled the hotel reservations and put the money back in my account that I'd withdrawn for the fun weekend.

It seems that it didn't matter how green the grass was on my side, there was something else this year that was greener. Instead of being bummed out for the next week I've decided to withdraw from the competition. (Completely unlike me, I know.)

I don't have much to entertain you with except for my fabulous personality. (And even if I did, I don't plan on entertaining you unless you're five.)

But if anyone wants to hang out with some friends who don't have the latest and greatest anything (and probably never will), give us a call.

P.S. We haven't watered our grass in weeks...but somehow, its really green and if that's not symbolism, I don't know what is!


Currently Reading: Bitter Is the New Black by Jen Lancaster

No comments: