Tuesday, June 17, 2008

waiting for the inevitable-updated.

**update**: we got the news that she passed away today. Please say a prayer for the family. We miss her already but are glad she doesn't have to be in pain any longer.**

I'm going to start this blog the same way you used to start a paper in school when you didn't know where to start. The definition of the subject.

According to dictionary.com, inevitable is
1. unable to be avoided, evaded, or escaped; certain; necessary: an inevitable conclusion.
2. sure to occur, happen, or come; unalterable: The inevitable end of human life is death.
–noun 3. that which is unavoidable.

My grandmother's best friend has been given 24-48 hours to live. She is thought to have pancreatic cancer and is on high doses of morphine to keep her comfortable. Unfortunately for us, this also keeps her asleep.

Even though we aren't related by blood, she's my grandmother too. As far back as I can remember...there was Granny and there was Marilyn. I don't know exactly when they met but it was a lifetime ago. She was a proud Baylor supporter, a strong christian and an all around wonderful woman. She has always been sharp as a tack and the most loveable person. And more importantly to me, she was the person we relied on to look after Granny when Pawpaw died....and she did. Marilyn's kids all went to tell Granny the news in person because we're basically one big family intertwined. I was in awe of such a selfless act on their part.

I'm on antibiotics and can't go out there to be with her and it's really doing a number on me. But when you think about it, these precious few moments that she has left are not for me....they're for her kids. Thats how you know someone was truly loved and touched a special place in everyone's heart.....because selfishly, I'm upset that I don't get to see her too.

I remember when they used to play bridge at the club, when "the grannies" would take girls weekends to Lake Austin, Horseshoe Bay or skiing in Colorado. I remember when our families spent summers at Possum Kingdom lake where we played spoons with her grandkids, watched Jaws, washed our hair with Vo5 and took showers in the lake, went skiing with bananas (before they had life jackets) rode water weenies, went to the trading post to buy candy cigarettes. The memories go on and on.

So while we know the inevitable is coming, I think we're all glad that we've had the incredible time with her that we've had. My parents went there yesterday to visit her and to visit my Granny. She said that the best way they knew to be with Granny was to talk about Marilyn. To talk about the memories they made and the friendship they shared. My only wish is that she be in peace and that we're given an opportunity to truly celebrate her life, the impact she made, and the legacy of love, family and faith that she leaves behind.

4 comments:

THE MEGSTER said...

HUGS.

Amber Nicole said...

I'll put you in my thoughts MC

Jett, Shauna and Colton said...

I love you so much.. stay strong

The Brown Family said...

Couldn't have said it better!