Monday, August 11, 2014

Back to school lunches

So, unfortunately it's that time of year again and I'm sad to send my kiddos to "school."  While we're excited about this new chapter in our new city, I've loved spending the last 6 months with them.  Our previous school provided lunches so this is my first attempt to send lunch with my kiddos.  To be honest, this is what first started me on a healthier path because I didn't want to just send my daughter to school with quesadillas, lunchables or grilled cheese everyday.  I feared her lunches would all be in the tan/brown/orange family without any color or nutritional value.

So, I have a lot of ideas for what I'm going to send and I'll be sure and post successes and failures as we go along.

In preparation though, I've found some great containers and accessories that I plan to use.  **I'm experimenting with links, I apologize in advance if they don't work...I'm a novice.

I found some  Thermos Ice Mat, 6 Cube packs at my local store but they also make these in 9 and 18.  They were $1 per 6 cube pack.  I ended up finding some other ones that looked more like ice cubes and you can cut in the size you want.

I'm still on the hunt for the right lunchbox and the Land's end ones were recommended by the crew at www.100daysofrealfood.com but, of course, I'm shopping locally if I can.

I love love love this Thermos FUNtainer Bottle, Disney Princess, 12 Ounce ...it stays cold all day and lasts forever!  It's not recommended for hot stuff because it keeps it HOT and could burn your little one's mouth but for cold stuff its AWESOME and doesn't leak!


I went to the store looking for the ziploc take along sectioned containers but my grocery store is a little smaller and I didn't have any luck.  What i DID find were these awesome Sistema 21652 Klip It Lunch Plus To-Go Container .  They come in all different colors, shapes, sizes, functions.  Some even have utensils that snap together.  My mom first found some of these and I'm addicted now and excited about having reusable containers that won't be thrown away.  You can find these at a ton of different stores and there are so many styles to choose from!



I can tell you that day 1 (and every day for awhile) he will have bottles and she (3.5yrs) will have carrots, cubed organic cheese and turkey pieces, veggie crackers, watermelon and a note from me (she can't read yet, just hoping Ms. Chrissy reads it to her).

Best of luck with your back to school lunches!  I think I'm stressing about this more than my lesson plans!!!

No comments: