Friday, August 8, 2014

Holy Bug Bites!!!

So I had no plans to post anything about this topic.  However, my husband and I just returned from a trip to the Bahamas.  I had every intention of traveling with a whole supply of oils.  However, I had to get the kids oils ready and instructions written for the grandmas who are not oil familiar with which oils to use for what.  This meant I wrote a small book for them and after getting everything ready to go, I didn't go to bed until 1:30am and had to be up by 3:15am.

Needless to say, in my sleep-deprived state, I left with only the oils I had in my purse.

Fast forward to day 4 of our vacation and we had dinner at an outdoor pizzeria on the resort property.  I noticed the hostess stand had multiple bottles of Off on the counter.  (Some regular and some deed free).  Well I haven't used bug spray since we started on our oils so I didn't think anything of it.

About 20min into dinner I was slapped on the arm by someone who saw a mosquito on it.  She got it and I got up to get bug spray.  I opted for the "deet free" as I'm trying to be more natural.  I sprayed it from the knees down and on my arms.

The next morning I woke up with a vicious itching sensation EVERYWHERE!!!  My ankles were swollen from itching in my sleep and you can see some of the bites in this photo.



By the end of the afternoon I'd counted 52 bites from the knees down (we were in the pool/ocean most of the day so I had plenty of time to count).  Thankfully the saltwater helped a bit but at one point I just stuck my legs out in the sun (from the knee down) and actually hoped my legs would burn because I'd rather have pain from a sunburn than this itch!

All I had with me was Panaway and Lava derm sunburn spray.  I applied these and the lavaderm helped but I still itched.  My husband bought benadryl creme and it did nothing.  I walked around barefoot as much as possible because my flip flops made the bites itch.

Anyhow, I'm now on day 5 of bites and day 2 at home with purification and my bites are slowly going away but I can go without itching finally!!!!  Never again will I leave without purification.  It now has a permanent place in my purse!


No comments: