Friday, July 4, 2008

Call to Action: Do more than just watch the fireworks

Ok...this is a challenge to all of you...ready??

Whenever there is a holiday, I always like to take some time to think about what that holiday is really about, not just how we celebrate it. To me, 4th of July is truly a celebration of my freedom...something I often take for granted. In celebration of this holiday, I too will watch fireworks, eat bbq, drink margaritas and wear something red, white or blue. But this year, I want to take it a step further...I want to give back to those who provide me with my freedom.

So starting today, I want to send care packages to our deployed troops. I'm gathering information on the specifics of what can/can't be sent and how exactly I'm to get these items to them.

What I know...for food, they request as much individually wrapped items as possible or durable things...(i.e. pringles cans instead of bags of chips), and non perishable items as it may take 2-4 weeks to get there and go thru several locations, temperatures and handling methods.

Here is a list of items wanted:
DVDs, CDs, Batteries (all sizes)
Computer Flash Drives
Headsets (earpiece and microphone)
Beanie Babies (what??), Small Novelty Items
Disposable Cameras
Prepaid Phone Cards
Travel-Size Board Games, Handheld electronic games
Bandana Coolers/Cool-Ties*, Mini-Battery-operated Fans
Hand and Foot Warmers
Commercially wrapped individual packets of Trail Mix, Beef Jerky, Nuts, Energy Bars, Sunflower Seeds, Candy (Halloween Candy is great!!)
Ready To Eat Tuna or Chicken Salad kits
Boxes of Girl Scout Cookies; Small tins of Danish Cookies
Packets of Powdered Cold Beverages (the type that you just add water to and individually wrapped is preferred...i.e. crystal light singles, etc)
Commercially sealed Lip Balm, roll-on deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes
Individual packets of moist towelettes
Travel Size containers of Foot Powder
Screen Printed T-Shirts, Socks
Baseball Style Caps, Knit Hats and Gloves; Neck Gators*
Holiday Greeting Cards (blank)
Tobacco Products
Unsealed personal cards and letters
Used Cell Phones, Video Games and Systems, IPODs, PDAs, Ink-jet Cartridges

For a more personal touch,
~Send a personal note or have your children write a letter, draw a picture, etc.
~ Send silly toys – water guns, handheld travel games, a book of jokes, magic tricks, etc. Anything to let him take a break. If you send water guns or something similar, be sure to send multiples, it’s no fun to play alone.
~Instead of packing supplies, I'm going to use recent newspapers, send me your old ones so I have a variety!
~Send magazines or a book

*I know these are a lot of items and some can be expensive..so see my other post on how to Make your own Cool Ties Or...if you make the fabric and I'll do the rest!

Thank you in advance to anyone and everyone for your help!! If you need to send items or want to send money towards the purchase of items, please email me theflipsideofthepillow at gmail dot com

2 comments:

Patriot said...

Awesome that you are doing this! Have you gotten in touch with the Blue Star Mothers? They are a great organization that mails items to the troops as well. GREAT job!

Amy said...

I found your blog from ihategreenbeans- I think I know someone who knows someone who knows Lincee or something- but she cracks me up- I've been reading her bachelor recaps forever. Anyway, so great that you're doing this! My fiance is currently deployed- couple comments about the things on your list. Beanie Babies are for them to pass out to Iraqi kids- small stuffed animals, hard candy, etc also works great in that regard. And hand/foot warmers are GREAT in the winter, but pretty useless this time of year as it is over 100 degrees every day. I would only send hand/foot warmers between October and March ish. Battery powered personal fans (you can find 'em at Bed Bath & Beyond, etc) are useful this time of year- I sent one to Pat last care package and he has been using it like crazy...