Thursday, July 10, 2008

Selfishnessicity

I'm really struggling lately with people who are selfish. Everyone is selfish at some point in their life but I've been faced with some extreme cases. Some people who are so wrapped up and focused on themselves and have absolutely no desire to do anything for anyone else or even be there for anyone else. I think the word selfish isn't strong enough to describe those people and I just don't understand them sometimes. Usually I'd be able to write them off and not let it bother me but when someone's actions intentionally hurt someone else, thats unnecessary, and frankly it pisses me off.

It's really hard for me to believe that there are people out there who have no desire to do anything for anyone else. I just don't get that. Don't they know that the feeling you get when giving someone a gift (material or not) isn't something that only happens in December? Patience, or lack thereof, is one of my big flaws so the fact that this has been an ongoing struggle is trying my patience.

I've had people tell me that my expectations are too high in life. How depressing is that? Are they really? If so, how did I get here? I know that I watched Faerie Tale Theater a LOT as a child (and yes, it is spelled Faerie) and I know that I'm a sap for wholesome movies but generally, I don't expect anything from anyone that I don't do myself.

So I'm faced with this inner turmoil. How can I be a giving person without being disappointed in others that don't? And don't get me wrong here, people, I'm nowhere close to being this good, wholesome, person that I'd like to be. But I do genuinely care about others and I love the feeling I get and the impact I make when I give to others. Maybe thats me being selfish....because I do it for the way it makes me feel?? That being said, as much as I'd like to go above and beyond in everything I do, generally I don't because I'm often lazy. So how can it be, then, that my expectations are too high?

I truly hope that is not the case because if my expectations are too high then that would make my hopes and dreams completely out of reach. So my challenge for you today is to do something nice for someone else. It can be as simple as holding the door for someone or as complicated as taking food to the homeless. And next time you feel the need to be selfish, fight it with a smile!

1 comment:

THE MEGSTER said...

Ok. I LOVE Faerie Tale Theater. Next time I come visit, we're having a marathon. And Ryan, we're ball-gagging you and handcuffing you so you have to watch it with us. DEAL, biatch.