Friday, July 18, 2008

To Re-Gift is to Receive

I've always been a fan of giving in every sense of the word. I've been described as a giving person and I love that....mostly I'm giving my time, my heart, my ear or my shoulder...but occasionally I get to give material things. I love all of these types of "giving"....the non-material (i'm sure there's an actual word for that but I don't know it) and the material.

The Non because I hate being alone unless I've had a terrible day and giving of myself always involves being around other people. The Material because I love to see people smile....I think long and hard about the gifts that I wrap up with a bow, convinced by the time the wrapping is complete that it is the most perfect gift for the recipient and I give myself an A+. (and i usually do a darn cute wrapping job.)

And of these material gifts, my all-time favorite is the Re-Gift.

Now most people frown upon re-gifting or hand-me-downs but that feeling is WRONG people! If you can give someone something that they absolutely love and you absolutely could do without, it is a WIN-WIN situation!!

Last night I had some girlfrieds over for pokeno. (It's a bunco group and we switched games because this one didn't require mathematical skills while drinking wine) We immediately judged everyones wrapping jobs by which gift bag was the cutest (mine...SNAP!), which was not (deemed "ugly bag"), which was the biggest (super cute purse) and which was the most creative (foil wrapped freebirds g.c.). It was so much fun to re-gift the wrapping and to know that with these girls, you can bring a re-gifted gift and no one cares. We are all so different that SOMEONE is going to think your trash is a treasure. It's like buying without paying...and without going to jail for it!

So Ladies, I must suggest that you do a pokeno night or some sort of gift exchange on a regular basis.

I attempted to host a "sip n swap" at the changing of the season where everyone brings clothes that are somewhat new but either cant wear or won't be worn for whatever reason and we all trade...while drinking wine, of coures. (Are you noticing a pattern? Yeah, me too, thank goodness I'm off the meds and can reclaim my title of wine-o).

Until next time, Cheers!

No comments: