Saturday, July 19, 2008

I need Christmas

Christmas in July is a common thing at retail centers. I think it's to increase the stress for all of us and remind us that Christmas is 20 something paychecks away.

For me, Christmas has never been a huge cause of stress like it is for others. I think its because there are only a few things in life that I love more than spending time with my family. I love cooking and decorating with my mom, begrudgingly wrapping white lights on the porch with my dad, finishing the last minute wrapping and preparing santa gifts for my mom. I love seeing those family members that you usually only see on holidays, wearing sweaters even though its really not cold enough for them, sitting on the porch before everyone wakes up and drinking coffee with mom and making memaws fudge.

There are so many things I cherish about the holidays, but nothing compares to the closeness that I feel to my Lord.

I don't know if its because the air is crisper/cleaner and I feel like its a more direct line of communication when I pray, or just because I get sentimental around the holiday. Regardless, its the one time of year that I can truly "give it up to God".

And right now, with Christmas half a year away, I would give anything to have the feeling I have at that time of year. I need a Christmas in July. I need the comfort of my loving parents and close friends, I need the smell of Big Mama's "Texas Trash" that my Mom makes and I need to hear the gorgeous fire crackling that my dad creates in the fireplace. I need to hang those ornaments full of memories and think back on when times were simple and care free.

Most of all, I need that feeling that no matter what happens next, everything is going to be okay. And right now, with all the summer heat and all the thoughts in my head, that message isn't exactly coming thru loud or clear.

Tomorrow is a day of new beginnings so I need some sleep. When I say my prayers tonight, it will be for each of us to get a little bit of Christmas when we need it.

1 comment:

Jett, Shauna and Colton said...

Guess what, I love you :) I know what you mean though.. I think everyone could use a "Christmas"... we should plan one! And you, the ultimate planner... get on it!